Interior stains are generally semi-transparent and applied to wood surfaces and then top-coated with a protective clear coating of one type or another. Interior stains are unlike exterior stains which are applied with no clear coating on top. Clear coatings are designed to give the bare or stained surface a protective finish.
Interior stains are used to add color and beauty to wood, fiberglass, and composite surfaces.
• Old Masters Fast Dry Stain and Old Masters Penetrating Stain are a fast drying wood stains for use on all types of interior wood. They provide a deep rich color that enhances the natural beauty of the wood without raising the grain. Formulated for use on new or bare interior wood surfaces. Ideal for use on cabinets, woodwork, paneling, doors, furniture, and floors.
• Old Masters Wiping Stain is a full bodied, penetrating, semi-transparent stain for interior applications. Wiping stain is a slower drying stain providing color control for a beautiful rich finish. Formulated for use on new or bare interior wood surfaces. Ideal for use on cabinets, woodwork, paneling, doors, furniture, and floors.
• Old Masters Gel Stain is an oil-based, semi-transparent gelled stain. Its thick formula allows easy application and better color control on difficult-to-stain woods such as pine, plywood, and veneers. Formulated for use on interior wood, fiberglass, metal, and composite surfaces.
• Old Masters Water-Based Wood Stain is recommended for use on bare, interior wood surfaces or surfaces from which the previous finish has been removed. This stain is fast drying, semi-transparent, and cleans easily with soap and water.
Selecting the appropriate topcoat and correctly applying it will help to provide lasting, durable protection for the life of your project. A clear topcoat finish will protect surfaces from abrasions, marring, chipping, and damage caused by water and alcohol.
Water-Based Clear Finishes
Water-based clear finishes offer the beauty and protection of traditional oil-based finishes with fast dry and easy water clean-up. Old Masters Masters Armor Interior Water-Based Clear Finish is a fast-drying finish that dries clear and enhances the beauty of stained and natural wood as it seals and protects. Formulated for use on bare and previously finished interior wood surfaces, Masters Armor will enhance the wood finish while providing excellent clarity and superior durability. Suitable for use on cabinets, doors, furniture, floors, and tabletops in both residential and commercial settings. For projects that demand added protection, add Masters Armor Optional Part B Hardener for enhanced chemical resistance and superior durability on high traffic floors, bar tops, and tabletops.
Old Masters Ascend Exterior Water-Based Clear Finish is a durable coating designed for exterior application on wood, fiberglass, or painted wood surfaces. It contains ultraviolet absorbers for advanced sun protection and dries quickly and cleans easily with soap and water. Use it on properly prepared exterior surfaces, such as railings, outdoor furniture, above waterline marine surfaces, as well as doors (including wood and fiberglass). It can also be used on interior windowsills and door frames for added ultraviolet protection. Do not use on wooden decks, steps or fences, log homes, or surfaces below the waterline. Available in matte, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss sheens.
Polyurethanes are clear protective finishes designed to be used over bare or stained surfaces. Polyurethanes produce a finish which is extremely durable and resistant to abrasion. Old Masters Polyurethane is a clear self-leveling finish formulated to provide long-lasting protection on interior wood surfaces. Old Masters Polyurethane is non-toxic when dry, easy to apply and provides exceptional resistance to impact, abrasion, marring, chipping, alcohol, and water. Formulated for use as a clear finish on bare and stained interior wood surfaces. Available in Satin, Semi-Gloss, and Gloss finishes.
Old Masters Gel Polyurethane is a clear oil-based gelled finish that produces a soft, hand-rubbed sheen. Its thick formula enables multiple hand-applied coats without drips or brush marks. Available in a satin sheen.
Oil finishes, such as Tung Oil are designed to seal and protect the surface. They can be used over bare or stained wood surfaces.
• Old Masters Tung Oil is a natural product that penetrates deeply into the wood to offer a natural, hand-rubbed finish to wood projects.
• Old Masters Tung Oil Varnish is a blend of tung oil and varnishes that penetrates the surface to produce a durable, hand-rubbed finish for fine furniture and wood products. More luster is created with each application.
• Old Masters Spar-Marine Varnish is a superior exterior coating formulated to produce a high quality, flexible finish that withstands weathering due to water and weather. Formulated for use on new and previously finished exterior wood surfaces. It contains ultraviolet absorbers for advanced sun protection and is an extremely durable coating for exterior wood surfaces, such as fences, siding, railings, lawn furniture, doors, boats, and marine surfaces. It may be used in interior applications where added protection is necessary, such as interior windowsills. Available in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss finishes.
Old Masters Brushing Lacquer is a crystal clear, fast-drying, and self-leveling interior lacquer that provides a durable finish resistant to water and alcohol. It is easily repaired and recoated without removing the old finish. Fast drying, this formula allows multiple coats for one-day finishing. Available in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss sheens.
Other stains and clear finishes may be available at your local Diamond Vogel store. For more information, contact your local Diamond Vogel sales representative.